Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mayaagni
Returning Member

Excess roth IRA contribution earnings

Hello there,

I contributed in excess to my roth IRA for tax year 2020 due to a change in income and I partially remedied this by withhdrawing it to a traditional IRA and then backdooring it the same year. Unfortunately I calculated my earnings on the excess incorrectly, and left 924.23 in excess profit in the roth IRA account, where it has remained since 2020. How do I report this or fix this with the least amount of hassle? Could I remove it and pay income tax on it now?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

Excess roth IRA contribution earnings

Because the $924 excess remained in your Roth IRAs at the end of 2021, you owe a 6% penalty on the $924 for 2021 unless you can apply the $924 as part of a Roth IRA contribution for 2021.  If you can't apply the $924 as part of your 2021 Roth IRA contribution, this excess carries into 2022.  You can resolve the excess for 2022 by taking a regular distribution of $924 before the end of 2022.  This regular distribution will be reported on line 20 of your 2022 Form 5329 to reduce the excess to zero for 2022.  This distribution will be a nontaxable distribution of contribution basis.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies