Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TX_Boiler

Excess Roth IRA contribution credit

In 2019, due to slightly higher than expected income, I over contributed to my Roth IRA by $330. I decided to take the 6% penalty in 2019 and carry forward the excess to 2020 since my income would be back to normal.

For 2020, I've told TurboTax that I had $330 in excess contribution for prior years. The next screen I input $330 for "Excess to Credit to 2020 Roth IRA Contributions". But when I get to the review stage of the return, I get an error that:

IRA Contribution Worksheet: Line 27 - Taxpayers' excess Roth IRA contribution credit should not be more than zero.

1. On the IRA contribution worksheet everything looks good. Line 24 (Roth IRA contributions) is the contribution I made in 2020. Line 26 shows that I want to credit $330 of excess Roth IRA Contribution. Line 27 shows the summation of Line 24 and Line 26, which is slightly lower than the Roth IRA max contribution limit.

2. I don't understand why TurboTax is giving me an error about Line 27, but highlighting Line 26 and indicating the credit should not be more than zero. Is this a specific message about a calculation error I have, or is TuboTax just giving me a generic warning that "hey, this is unusual and normally shouldn't be more than zero"?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Excess Roth IRA contribution credit

Please be aware that you entered it correctly but there is currently a issue that TurboTax is working on. Please "Check This Entry" error 5329 for details and to sign up when the issue is corrected.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies