Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Excess contribution or not?

So I switch jobs during the year 2024. Let's say this is a break down of my contribution by end of year 2024:

Company 1:

Pre-tax 401k: 3,000

Company match: 1,000

After-tax: 40,000

Company 2:

Pre-tax 401k: 20,000

Company match: 10,000

After-tax: 0

The limit for 2024 is: $23,000 for Pretax and roth employee contributions, and 69,000 for Employee and employer contributions.

My total pre-tax and roth contribution is not over the 23,000 limit, but my total contribution is over the 69,000 limit. My question:

1. I heard that the 69,000 limit is for each employer, rather than each person, is that correct?

2. If 'yes' to the first question, does that mean I can actually increase my after-tax contribution for company 2, as long as it's not over 39,000 (69,000 - 20,000 - 10,000), I won't have excess contribution penalty for 2024?

3. If 'no' to the first question, and I choose to get excess return from company 1, can I only get $5,000 return from the after-tax account, but nothing from the pre-tax at all (since I'm not over-contribute the pre-tax account)?

I appreciate any insights, thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

1.  Correct.

2.  Provided that the plan at company 2 allows after-tax contributions, you can make after-tax contributions, with total contributions subject to the overall contribution limit of $69,000 or compensation at company 2, whichever is less.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I'm going to page @dmertz who can almost certainly provide insight and an answer.

dmertz
Level 15

1.  Correct.

2.  Provided that the plan at company 2 allows after-tax contributions, you can make after-tax contributions, with total contributions subject to the overall contribution limit of $69,000 or compensation at company 2, whichever is less.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies