Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

erick307
Returning Member

Excess 2023 Trad IRA Cont converted to Back Door Roth - Correcting in same tax year

Contributed $7,500 (excess $1,000 contribution) to non deductible IRA in 2023, then converted through back door Roth in 2023. Need to remove excess and earnings before filing taxes. Is it proper to remove from Roth back to Trad IRA, then remove from Trad IRA, which replicates contribution steps?

If so, is it right to then report the correct $6,500 nondeductible contribution in 2023, and deal with any 2024 correction tax forms next year?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Excess 2023 Trad IRA Cont converted to Back Door Roth - Correcting in same tax year

[[ removed ]]

@erick307 

I'm removing my initial response because I didn't think it through carefully.

@erick307 

"Need to remove excess and earnings before filing taxes."

No, you need to remove excess and earnings before converting to Roth.

You now have an excess contribution of $1,000 plus earning that you did not take out

HOWEVER,

if you brought the Traditional IRA balance to zero  . the excess and the penalty should go away.

You will pay tax on the $1,000 plus earning due to the conversion with a basis of $6,500.

the $1,000 plus earnings is in the Roth via the back door.

There's no correction to be done next year.

@erick307 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies