Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

burnsd3

Enter below how much of the (distribution) (filer) received applies to the RMD

Part of the1099-R distribution was for a Roth conversion, part was for state tax withholding on the Roth conversion, part was for a RMD, and part was for state tax withholding on the RMD.   The RMD was taken as a distribution in kind which was deposited to a stock trading account.  I sold additional shares of stock in the same traditional IRA account to generate cash to pay the tax withholdings on the Roth conversion and RMD.

When entering the 1099-R in Turbotax 2023 Premier, after entering the total distribution amount and tax withholding and answering some questions, a screen asks "Enter below how much of the ($distribution) (filer first name) received applies to the RMD".  Am I supposed to enter (1) just the RMD shares distribution value, or (2) the sum of the RMD shares distribution plus the taxes withheld on the RMD?  I cannot find the answer in IRS Pub 590A or B, or by searching online.  Seems to me it should be (2), because the part of the distribution that is for tax withholding on the RMD distribution is indeed a distribution from the traditional IRA. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Enter below how much of the (distribution) (filer) received applies to the RMD

It is 2 because the RMD includes the tax withheld to pay it.

@burnsd3 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies