Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Employer error in 401k contribution into following year after my retirement. Can i deduct IRA contributions

i retired 12-31-15 but my employer added to my 401k in January of 2016. I wanted to be able to deduct my contributions to my separate IRA.  how do I do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Employer error in 401k contribution into following year after my retirement. Can i deduct IRA contributions

The calendar year for which you are covered by the retirement plan's depends on the plan-year end date.  For a fiscal-year plan that does not have a December 31 end date, you would be covered by this employer's retirement plan for 2016.  Given that you are covered for 2016, whether or not you are eligible to deduct some or all of your traditional IRA contribution for 2016 will depend on your modified AGI and filing status.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

The calendar year for which you are covered by the retirement plan's depends on the plan-year end date.  For a fiscal-year plan that does not have a December 31 end date, you would be covered by this employer's retirement plan for 2016.  Given that you are covered for 2016, whether or not you are eligible to deduct some or all of your traditional IRA contribution for 2016 will depend on your modified AGI and filing status.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies