Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eFile rejected with two 1099-R forms due to Roth IRA Recharacterization/Conversion --> How To Fix in TurboTax?

Hello,

In April 2020, I deposited the maximum $6000 into Roth IRA. A few months later, I recharacterization of $6000 plus $800 gains into an empty Traditional IRA account. A few days later I converted $6800 back into my Roth IRA account.

I received two different 1099-R forms from my broker and entered them in Turbotax. However, my e-file of federal tax was rejected with a reason of duplicate 1099-R. How should I fix it? Your help is sincerely appreciated!

Context:

• 1099-R for the Traditional IRA: it has the "Taxable amount not determined" and "Total distribution" boxes checked, Box 7 code: 2, and IRA/SEP/Simple checked. Below are how I did in TurboTax:

1. "Good News: You Don’t own extra tax on this money”
  2. Did you inherit the IRA – No
  3. What did you do with the money – move the money to another retirement account à combination of rolling over, converting or cashing out à amount converted to a Roth IRA.
  4. Was this a withdrawal due to a qualified disaster distribution? – No.

• 1099-R for the Roth IRA: it has Box 7 code: N. Below are how I did in TurboTax:

1. Verified the numbers of box 2a, 2b and 7
  2. Where is this distribution from? A) pick up contribution; b) military service; c) self-employed retirement plan established before 1967; d) None of the above. – selected d) None of the above.
  3. Was this a withdrawal due to a qualified disaster distribution? – No.

After entering information of both 1099-Rs, got the following questions:

• Any nondeductible contributions to your traditional IRA from 2019 or previous years. – Selected No as I only did backdoor IRA in 2020.
  • Tell us the value of your traditional IRA:
    • Traditional, SEP, and SIMPLE IRA on Dec 31, 2020: 0
    • Outstanding Rollover: 0
    • Outstanding recharacterization: 0

Finally, this is what I have in the 8606 form:

Line 13: 6000 *

Line 14: 0

Line 15a: 0

Line 15 b: nothing

Line 15c: 0*

Line 16: $6800

Line 17: $6000

Line 18 taxable amount: $800.*

The number in 1040 4a is $12000, and in 4b is 800 as taxable.  

My Question:

I’ve contacted the customer service of TurboTax. They told me that the computer cannot differentiate the two 1099-R forms as they have same amount in box 1. So I have to mail the tax forms.

Based on your experience with the recharacterizations/conversions, please advise if I enter anything incorrectly? Are there any other steps I will need to take within TurboTax to fix it and do the efile? 

Thank you very much for reading and providing your input!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies