Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emaven
Returning Member

Don't recall entering 1099-SA getting questions if distribution taxable. By chance turbo tax said was taxable. I checked the proper box on the form. How report error?

for 2023
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Don't recall entering 1099-SA getting questions if distribution taxable. By chance turbo tax said was taxable. I checked the proper box on the form. How report error?

Provided that you proceed through TurboTax in sequence by clicking Continue each time it appears, TurboTax does ask the necessary questions to determine the taxable amount of a distribution reported on a Form 1099-SA.

To make a code-1 or code-3 Form 1099-SA nontaxable, when asked by TurboTax you must indicate that the distribution was used for qualified medical expenses or was rolled over to another HSA or MSA, whichever applies.

If you received a code-2 Form 1099-SA, the amount shown in box 2 is taxable.

If you received a code-4 or code-6 Form 1099-SA, the amount that is taxable is reduced by the amount of the decedent's pre-death expenses that you paid within the one-year period following the date of death, which you must enter when TurboTax asks.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I'll page a knowledgeable person in this area, @dmertz but you may have to contact Support:

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

dmertz
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Provided that you proceed through TurboTax in sequence by clicking Continue each time it appears, TurboTax does ask the necessary questions to determine the taxable amount of a distribution reported on a Form 1099-SA.

To make a code-1 or code-3 Form 1099-SA nontaxable, when asked by TurboTax you must indicate that the distribution was used for qualified medical expenses or was rolled over to another HSA or MSA, whichever applies.

If you received a code-2 Form 1099-SA, the amount shown in box 2 is taxable.

If you received a code-4 or code-6 Form 1099-SA, the amount that is taxable is reduced by the amount of the decedent's pre-death expenses that you paid within the one-year period following the date of death, which you must enter when TurboTax asks.

If you have not filed, go back through the interview and make sure you answer all the questions.  You can add more details here if you need followup advice.

If you already filed, and just noticed you paid tax on a withdrawal that should be non-taxable, you can file an amended return to correct the problem and get a refund. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-federal-tax-return-curr...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies