Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does inherited Roth IRA have RMD, Required minimum distribution under 10-yea rule?? I am not an eligible designated beneficiary.

I am getting conflicting information online.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Does inherited Roth IRA have RMD, Required minimum distribution under 10-yea rule?? I am not an eligible designated beneficiary.

@dmertz ?

One of the reasons for confusion is that the IRS is in the process of updating the regulations, and the newest rules are known to the legal and accounting community but haven't been put in writing yet in the normal IRS forms and publications. 

Under the SECURE Act (passed in 2020 but the regulations are only taking effect in 2025), you must take an RMD from an inherited Roth IRA if the owner was past their RMD beginning date.  You must also spend out the account within 10 years.  If the owner was not past their RMD beginning date, you do not have to take RMDs, but still must empty the account within 10 years.  Your RMD is based on your life expectancy table, not the life expectancy table for the original owner.  

The regulations take effect in 2025 and people who did not take RMDs from 2021-2024 will not be penalized even though they were technically required.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies