Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lorie3133

Do you have to claim the boxes in 12 on your W-2 on your tax return? I have money take out for HSA but now I have to wait to file my return till I get a 1099 for this.

I have an HSA (Health Savings Account) so I have money taken out of my check for it. I'm trying to file my taxes but it says I have to wait for a 1099 for my HSA. Do I HAVE to file this on my tax return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
lorie3133

Do you have to claim the boxes in 12 on your W-2 on your tax return? I have money take out for HSA but now I have to wait to file my return till I get a 1099 for this.

Sorry, it's a 8889-T that I need, not a 1099

If you made contributions or withdrawals in 2016, those must be reported on form 8889, and that form isn't ready yet.  If you leave the form out, you WILL get a letter and a bill for taxes and penalties, because if you don't use the form to say that you used the withdrawal for qualified medical expenses, the IRS will assume the withdrawals were not qualified and will charge you tax on them.

IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Yes.  The IRS will be matching the items on your W-2 with the various sections of your tax return.  You will need the 1099-SA to show the amount of the distributions, the distribution code, and to indicate whether any money distributed was used for medical expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

There is no real delay in your tax refund for waiting for your W-2 since the IRS is not yet accepting tax returns.
lorie3133

Oh ok, it's not actually a 1099, it's an 8889-T that I'm waiting on.

8889-T is scheduled for release on Jan 26.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908854-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-federal-products-exc...>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

And yes, you must report box 12 on your W-2.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies