Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do the contributions and earnings for a Roth IRA recharacterized to a non-deductible traditional IRA go on line 1 on form 8606?

I ended up contributing to a Roth IRA in 2016, however earned over the income limit. I recharacterized my 2016 Roth IRA contributions to a Non Deductible Traditional IRA for 2016, and then converted the 2016 Non Deductible Traditional IRA contributions to a Roth IRA in 2017. I also set up a backdoor Roth IRA for 2017. 

I received a 1099-R in the amount of $5300 ($5000 contributions + $300 earnings) that is entered on line 15a on the 1040. 

My question is on the 8606 for 2016: Should the amount for line 1 be the original 2016 employee contributions of $5,000?  Or the employee contributions + earnings for a total of $5,300?  Or something else?   

Thanks for your help! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Do the contributions and earnings for a Roth IRA recharacterized to a non-deductible traditional IRA go on line 1 on form 8606?

The earnings required to be transferred with the recharacterization do not go on Form 8606 line 1.  They are not part of the amount that was recharacterized.  If you contributed $5,000 to a Roth IRA, it grew to $5,300, then recharacterized your entire contribution, $5,000, not $5,300, has been recharacterized.  The amount required to be transferred to the traditional IRA, $5,300, is the sum of the $5,000 being recharacterized and the $300 of earnings.  In this case, Form 8606 line 1 should show $5,000.

The Form 1099-R reports the amount transferred, not the amount recharacterized.  In the case of a code N or R Form 1099-R that has a nonzero box 2a, one can infer that the amount in box 1 minus the amount in box 2a is the amount that was recharacterized.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

The earnings required to be transferred with the recharacterization do not go on Form 8606 line 1.  They are not part of the amount that was recharacterized.  If you contributed $5,000 to a Roth IRA, it grew to $5,300, then recharacterized your entire contribution, $5,000, not $5,300, has been recharacterized.  The amount required to be transferred to the traditional IRA, $5,300, is the sum of the $5,000 being recharacterized and the $300 of earnings.  In this case, Form 8606 line 1 should show $5,000.

The Form 1099-R reports the amount transferred, not the amount recharacterized.  In the case of a code N or R Form 1099-R that has a nonzero box 2a, one can infer that the amount in box 1 minus the amount in box 2a is the amount that was recharacterized.

Thank you for clearing that up for me!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies