Solved: Do I pay tax on SS benefits that I gave to the STD insurance company?

Do I pay tax on SS benefits that I gave to the STD insurance company?

I reported & paid tax on the STD insurance payments I received from the insurance company. The insurer applied for SS benefits on my behalf in 2017. When I received the SS benefits I gave them to the STD insurer to reimburse them. net net --- the disability income was reported & taxed last year, but the SS payment was received in 2017. I received an SSA-1099 in 2017.

The insurance company was subrogated in your rights and received the SS benefits. As you had already reported the disability benefits last year, you do not need to report your SSA-1099. Just keep it in your records for at least three years, along with any proof that you remitted the amount to the insurance company.