fitzalan

Do I need to report a state tax refund reported on a 1099-G that has my deceased husband's name on it? (He passed in 2018)

JamesG1

Perhaps.  In 2018 did you and your deceased husband file married filing jointly or married filing separately?

If you filed married filing jointly in 2018, did you file a Schedule A Itemized Deductions?  Or did you claim the standard deduction?

fitzalan

We filed as married filing jointly and itemized deductions. For 2019, I'm filing as single because there is nothing else with my husband's name on it except the Utah state tax refund. My name is not on the 1099, which is why I wasn't sure whether I would need to report it. If I do need to report it, would I need to change my filing status since nothing else has my husband's name on it?

DaveF1006

if your husband passed away in 2019, you can Marry File Jointly and report his death on the return. if it was prior to 2019, then filing single is correct. Regardless, if you itemized deductions in 2018 while filing jointly, you will need to file the 1099G in your 2019 tax return even though it was issued only in his name since you both received the benefit of the deduction in your 2018 tax return.