turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zachcura

Do I need to file my 1099 form?

I got a 1099 form from Acorns. For those of you that don't know, Acorns is a mobile app that allows one to invest money and earn interest on the money invested. However, when I selected the option to amend my original tax returns, the example of the 1099 form that was shown was very different from the one I got. The example 1099 form shown had everything separated by boxes (i.e Box 1 "Dividends", Box 2 "Royalties" etc.. The one I have doesn't look like that at all.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MichaelMc

Do I need to file my 1099 form?

If you earned income from money that you invested, you must report that income on your tax return.

It sounds like you are looking at a sample of Form 1099-MISC. That is not the type of form used for reporting investment earnings. The form issued by Acorns should be either a Form 1099-INT or a Form 1099-DIV, depending on whether your earnings took the form of interest or dividends. 

Once you determine the type of income you received, open your tax return in TurboTax, search on "1099-INT" or "1099-DIV" and you will be directed to the correct input screen for your earnings information. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies