Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

csiefring

Do I have to file Form 8606 for small non-deductible contribution?

I have a small ($30) non-deductible traditional IRA contribution.  Do I have to file f8606 if I’m not going to bother tracking the basis in the future?  It does not seem worth tracking as a basis over many years, when each future distribution would be just a few dollars and tax on that a few cents.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

If you fail to file Form 8606, you won't get credit for the basis and it will be taxed again when eventually distributed.

How do you know that you will not have any basis in the future to add to the total?

Do you have only a small amount of money in a traditional IRA?  If so, report the nondeductible traditional IRA contribution and convert everything to Roth in 2020.  In the case of small amounts, paying the taxes on the taxable amount now and having to pay no taxes on the growth in Roth IRA once the requirements are met will be more beneficial than leaving the tax-deferred money in the traditional IRA to continue to grow taxably.

Of course if TurboTax is requiring you to upgrade from the Free Edition to Deluxe just to be able to file Form 8606, paying, say, $10 of unnecessary tax in the future would be better than paying the extra cost of TurboTax Deluxe now.

csiefring

You're making a lot of assumptions.  I will not be making more non-deductible contributions and already use turbo-tax home and business (I get this was a joke).  I'm close to a marginal tax bracket boundary, so large conversion to Roth may not make sense.

dmertz
Level 15

No joke.   These questions and answers tend to be read by many people with many different tax situations, so on occasion I include information that can be useful to a more general audience.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies