Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

angiinkc1
Returning Member

Critical illness

I have a critical illness policy that I pay for post-tax through my employer.  I was diagnosed with cancer and received a payout of 20,000.  I was told this was not taxable at the time, but then received a 1099 misc with box 3 filled in for 20,000.  How do I account for this in Turbo Tax?  Do I have to pay taxes on it?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Critical illness

Generally, income that is derived from post-tax packages are exempt from income tax. Life insurance is an example - you cannot deduct life insurance premiums (your employer's ability to deduct those premiums is limited), so the proceeds of your life insurance policy is tax-free.

Using this same logic, the amount in box 3 on your 1099-MISC should be tax-free. However, you still have to enter this 1099-MISC, because the issuer of the critical illness policy sent a copy of the 1099-MISC to the IRS, who may wonder why it did not appear on your return. 

So enter the 1099-MISC, and then offset it with an entry under Less Common Income. Click on what should be the last option, Miscellaneous Income, then click on the last choice: Other reportable income.

Then click on Yes for Any Other Taxable Income, and finally you have a screen where you enter a description of "non-taxable offset for 1099-MISC post-tax payout" (or something like that), and for the appropriate spouse, put the negative of the 1099-MISC amount. This should cause the 1099-MISC amount to be negated on your 1040.

Any questions?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
angiinkc1
Returning Member

Critical illness

Thank you so much for your response!  It is very helpful and descriptive.  I will try making those changes and see if I have any issues.  You have definitely taken a load of stress of my mind.  We had almost 18 grand in medical bills in 8 months, plus will hit out of pocket max every year for a few years, so trying to pay taxes on that would have been crushing.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies