Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Converted Backdoor Conversion from IRA to Roth- TT blew up.

In 2023 I ordered my IRA custodian- to do a backdoor IRA to Roth Conversion. I asked my custodian for a $40K conversion and they moved securities from my IRA to my Roth IRA. TT desktop help guide said I needed to do a 2 step process.

Backdoor Roth IRA conversion: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/retirement-benefits/enter-backdoor-roth-...

Step 1: Enter the Non-Deductible Contribution to a Traditional IRA. Then the software blew up. 40K was much more than the allowable contribution. TT and the associated guidance needs to be updated. There isn't a limit on how much to convert when you're just recharacterizing from one type of retirement account to another one.  See IRS publication 590a Page 28 

>

Converting From Any Traditional IRA Into a Roth IRA

Allowable conversions. You can withdraw all or part of the assets from a traditional IRA and reinvest them (within 60 days) in a Roth IRA. The amount that you withdraw and timely contribute (convert) to the Roth IRA is called a conversion contribution. If properly (and timely) rolled over, the 10% additional tax on early distributions won’t apply.

However, a part or all of the distribution from your traditional IRA may be included in gross income and subjected to ordinary income tax.

>

The TT instructions need to be updated- among other problems it's penalizing me for an 'early' withdrawl on a transfer from one account to another. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Converted Backdoor Conversion from IRA to Roth- TT blew up.

It's working now. There was an update today- I don't know if it was related. I didn't follow the 2 step directions - they didn't apply. 

Just fill in the information on the 1099-R very carefully. It's not considered a rollover of funds. If you've deducted the taxes in the past, you have a zero cost basis - meaning everything is taxable. Do not do any steps implying there are new contributions.  

When I filled in the information correctly in the 1099-R TT automatically populated part II on form 8606 correctly reflecting the backdoor Roth Contribution. Did a review and TT didn't find any errors. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies