Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Conversion from traditional IRA to Roth. Contribution and conversion for 2023 done in early 2024.

In February 2024 I made a non-deductible contribution to my traditional IRA at Schwab for Tax Year 2023. I then converted the total contribution from the traditional IRA to my Roth IRA. This is permitted because I made the contribution before April 15, 2024. How do I get a 1099-R for reporting the distribution of the amount I converted to the Roth?  Can I receive a 1099-R from Schwab for 2023 or do I wait to receive 1099-R in 2024 for this 2023 transaction?  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Conversion from traditional IRA to Roth. Contribution and conversion for 2023 done in early 2024.

The traditional IRA contribution made for 2023 is reportable on your 2023 tax return.

The Roth conversion performed in 2024 is reportable on your 2024 tax return.  Nothing about the Roth conversion is reportable on your 2023 tax return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

The traditional IRA contribution made for 2023 is reportable on your 2023 tax return.

The Roth conversion performed in 2024 is reportable on your 2024 tax return.  Nothing about the Roth conversion is reportable on your 2023 tax return.

Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies