turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connecticut state taxes last year listed my retirement income and social security as non taxable. This year CT is taxing it.

My income went up some due to an annuity withdrawal but the taxes are a lot.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Connecticut state taxes last year listed my retirement income and social security as non taxable. This year CT is taxing it.

Connecticut does not tax Social Security or pensions if your Adjusted Gross Income is below 75,000 if filing Single and 100,000 if filing Married Filing Jointly.

25% of an IRA distributions are also exempt under the same AGI limits.

(For IRA distributions that jumps up to 50% in 2024 and 75% in 2025 and finally 100% for tax year 2026 and beyond.)

Your AGI is listed on your 1040 line 11. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So if my AGI is 109,000 as a joint filer the whole amount is taxed or just the 9,000? or a percent of the total?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

For Pension and Annuity Income:

The law fully exempts qualifying pension and annuity income (including 401(k), 403(b), or 457(b) plans) from income tax for taxpayers with federal AGI $100,000 for married people filing jointly. Pension and annuity income is fully taxable for taxpayers with AGIs equal to or greater than the threshold through the 2023 tax year.

For Social Security Income :

Taxpayers with AGIs equal to or greater than the threshold ($100000 for Married Filing Jointly) qualify for a partial exemption through which no more than 25% of their total Social Security benefits received is subject to tax.

For more information, check: Income Tax Exemptions for Retirement Income

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies