Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Confused on 1099-R "Which Year" Question. Made an excess contribution for 2022 IRA year. Had excess removed March 2023.

In March 2023 I had Vanguard do an excess removal of my 2022 Roth contributions into my brokerage account since I was over the income limit. Fast forward 2024, and I have a 1099-R for that removal. I've inputed it on my on my 2023 returns and get the "Which Year on Form 1099-R" question (2023) or (2024)? Naturally I pick 2023 since it does say 2023, but then it tells me I my need to amend my 2022 return.

I just want to confirm this is current and that I do need to actually amend the 2022 return. 

Reading similar topics here, it's suggested picking the current, which doesn't tell you to amend. Again I'm just making sure I need to amend my 2022 return, only if I have to. Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Confused on 1099-R "Which Year" Question. Made an excess contribution for 2022 IRA year. Had excess removed March 2023.

TurboTax is correct

For a Roth IRA, Form 8606 will be used to calculate additional 2022 income.

If by chance it is zero, you don't have to amend unless you want to show that result to IRS. In any case, Form 8606 will be added to your 1040-X

@impactbolt5 

Still confused on why I need to amend. Some more detail, I have distribution codes J, P on my 1099.R

My wife also has a couple1099-R that TurboTax says to amend when picking 2023 has codes of 8, J and J, P.

The rules is:

positive earnings allocable to the excess are included in income on 1040 Line 4b for the year of the contribution.

Code P stands for prior, not for pool.

That's why it is telling you to amend 2022 tax return.

@impactbolt5 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies