Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ziggy29
Returning Member

Completing an SEPP mid-year

I've done some searching here and elsewhere, and I think I have some idea, but I'm still a little unclear as to how I finish up my SEPP in 2025 and would like some confirmation/assurance because the penalties for "busting" an SEPP would be pretty severe in my case.  IRS guidance here seems to be pretty vague.

I started taking SEPP out of one of my IRAs in July 2018, so it has been more than 5 years (that test has already been passed).  I turn 59.5 in April 2025, and I have been taking my distributions monthly, so in 2018 I took 6 monthly payments, and then 12 payments in 2019 through 2024.

So, my questions:  First, am I correct that in 2025 I would take four monthly SEPP contributions equal to 1/12 of my annual amount, and then I am free to do what I want with that IRA?  (That is, I could add funds, withdraw other funds, perform Roth conversions, change the withdrawal amount or stop withdrawals starting in May 2025)? 

And in Turbo Tax, when I enter the SEPP amount, it would just be for those four months -- 1/3 of the annual amounts from 2019-24 -- when I file the 2025 return?  (Any withdrawals after that should be normal distributions.). I just want to make sure this is right and minimize any red flags that may get raised with the IRS. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies