Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CO state tax return. Social Security income on federal return may qualify for and exclusion. Why doesn't TT automatically fill that amount in for me on the income form?

On the Social Security Income page it says "Good news! $8,691 of social security income that was taxed on your federal return may qualify for an exclusion.  TT autofilled my IRA distribution but on the next page where it asks for addition pension and annuity income didn't fill in my wife's SS amount (i.e. the 8691 that "may" qualify.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

CO state tax return. Social Security income on federal return may qualify for and exclusion. Why doesn't TT automatically fill that amount in for me on the income form?

We are not able to see your tax return.

The Colorado Pension and Annuity Income Exclusion has dollar caps.  Perhaps the dollar cap had already been met?  

Did your spouse meet the age requirements of the exclusion?

A screenshot of a computer

Description automatically generated

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes. She met the age exclusion.  It wasn't until I finished the taxes and could look at the 1040 form that I saw that the SS income was on a line that is not included. The SS income was on 6b not 5b.  I think that the TT statement that the dollars "may" qualify is a misstatement.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies