Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Canadian pension conversion

I need to enter in a Canadian pension plan do I add it in with my social security or does it need to be entered in seperately?
1 Reply
New Member

Canadian pension conversion

If the Canadian pension that you have is similar to a company pension plan:

Enter your company pension income as a 1099-R in US dollars. Enter the Canadian tax withheld as a foreign tax credit in Form 1116. The TurboTax section for Canadian Registered Pension Income is a worksheet for RRSP and RRIF income. If you have ever filed Form 8891 in the past, your RRSP will now be a worksheet. But in the end, all 1099-R and RRSP worksheet totals get added up on line 16a and 16b on Form 1040.

If the Canadian pension that you have is similar to U.S. Social Security system, see this article:

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies