turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can the state amount for nonqualified distribution equal the federal amount? (2023 Premier Desktop version, fully updated; getting error in SmartCheck with values equal)

(No matter what value I enter for the state amount during SmartCheck I get sent back with SmartCheck saying it is erroneous)
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Can the state amount for nonqualified distribution equal the federal amount? (2023 Premier Desktop version, fully updated; getting error in SmartCheck with values equal)

Are you getting this message when you run SmartCheck for the federal return?

What is the exact message you are getting?

What are your amounts in (W-2) box 1, box 11, box 16, and box 18?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DPP2
Level 2

I am also getting the same error message - "Form W-2 (Fidelity Investments) Nonqualified Distribution (State Amount) - The total amount of Sect. 457 state distributions does not match with the amount of Sect. 457 distributions reported on the federal return.  Adjust the state entries as needed.

However, the numbers do agree EXACTLY.  I've tried retyping the same number in error window, but error doesn't clear.

W-2 Boxes 1, 11, 16 are exact same number.  Box 18 is blank.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

After requesting the diagnostic file below, I received some further information that this is a known customer experience that is being addressed.  It is expected to be resolved after 2/2/2024.  

In order to take a closer look and report this as a possible software issue, it would be extremely helpful to have a diagnostic copy of your tax file.  The diagnostic file will not contain any personally identifiable information, only numbers related to your tax forms.  All personal information is redacted with 'xxx'.  If you would like to provide us with the diagnostic file, follow the instructions below and post the token number along with which version of TurboTax you are using in a follow-up thread.

Use these steps if you are using TurboTax Online:

• Sign in to your account and be sure you are in your tax return.
  • Select Tax Tools in the menu to the left.
  • Select Tools.
  • Select Share my file with agent.
  • A pop-up message will appear, select OK to send the sanitized diagnostic copy to us.
  • Post the token number here. 

If you are using a CD/downloaded version of TurboTax, use these steps:

• Select Online at the top of the screen.
  • Select Send Tax File to Agent.
  • Click OK.
  • Post the token number here.

@DPP2 

[edited 1/27/2024 | 9:47 am PST]

DPP2
Level 2

Looks like another similar thread has identified this issue and several diagnostic files have now been submitted to LindaS5247 Employee Tax Expert

I'm getting the same error message with the same circumstances.  Boxes 1, 11, 16 are all identical with box 18 empty.  Do you need more disgnostic copies submitted for this error? 

Token #1167783

DPP2
Level 2

Expert Linda S5247 has responded on a similar thread that issue expected to be resolved by TT Development Team by 2/2/2024

Does anyone know if these issue resolution dates for reported problems are posted online by TT somewhere?  Anyone have the link?

DPP2
Level 2

Was posted by:   Expert Linda S5247

That's the only info I saw, from her thread referencing the issue and 2/2/2024 resolution date

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Please check forms availability here. Select online, Windows, or Macintosh from the drop down menu. Whenever the federal and states change a form, we have to as well. This happens throughout tax season.

@Mr MaGoo 

DPP2
Level 2

Not sure what you mean.  The 'form' is a W-2 for a non-qualified pension payment that people receive.   An error keeps showing up when you run the TT Review (even though the values are identical).  See previous thread for details.  It seems that this is a software bug in the program that needs to be corrected.

I think Amy C was trying to tell me where the resolution dates are posted.  But, the link she provided is just for the release date of various forms.  As far as I can tell, they do not post any kind of consolidated "bug fixes underway" list.  Except for the 2/2/2024 estimated fix date they provided in the thread you found.  

DPP2
Level 2

Got it.  Hoping (like many others) a software update on/around 2/2 will resolve.

After today's TT update, the issue was fixed for me.  Good to see!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies