Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stacylgr

Can someone tell me where to find a place in Intuit Turbotax to enter box 12 on my 1099-G which is "Amount repaid or overpayment"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Can someone tell me where to find a place in Intuit Turbotax to enter box 12 on my 1099-G which is "Amount repaid or overpayment"?

The IRS Form 1099-G does not have a box 12. If this is unemployment and you had a repayment see the following information and instruction, 

If you received your 1099-G from your state unemployment office and it includes an amount that was overpaid to you, the action will depend when it was paid back to the state unemployment office.

1. Received unemployment in 2023 which included an overpayment and paid it back in 2023.  if that is the case you will reduce your unemployment by the amount of the repayment.

Then, please follow the instructions below:

1. Open your return > Search > Type 1099G > Click the Jump to... link
  2. Answer Yes to the question Were you required to repay unemployment benefits (uncommon)?
  3. Answer Yes to the question Did you pay back any government unemployment from 2022 or earlier?  ONLY if you also repaid prior year benefits!
  4. Edit your 1099-G and in the box asking 2023 benefits repaid, Don't enter benefits repaid for 2022 or earlier. 
  5. Enter only the amount of benefits received and repaid both in 2023.

If any repayment was for benefits received in a prior year, and if they were $3,000 or less there is no deduction under current tax law.  Please update with additional details and we will help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies