Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my ex husband and I split the limit this year on our individual state returns for MD Prepaid College Trust? We agree we "split" the original Lump Sum contribution?

We made the contribution "together" (we agree on that) from a joint account before we were divorced and have been claiming the max deduction this year as part of the guidelines up to the limit.  This is the first year we are divorced and not sure if we can "split" the max and each claim half of it since we agree we each paid "half" of it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Can my ex husband and I split the limit this year on our individual state returns for MD Prepaid College Trust? We agree we "split" the original Lump Sum contribution?

Yes, you contributed.

Tax Advantages & Benefits of 529 Plans - Maryland 529 states: If you are the account holder or a contributor, you can deduct up to $2,500 of payments each year from your Maryland State income per account - $5,000 for two, $7,500 for three, etc. Payments in excess of $2,500 per account can be deducted in future years until the full amount of payments has been deducted.

Related:

Maryland College Savings Plans Tax Benefits - Administrative

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies