Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ornofrk

Can I take a QCD (Qualified Charitable Deduction) on my Federal return for Metro.Life annuity payments I receive from my Federal Thrift Savings Plan distributions?

Metropolitan Life Ins. Co. provides these payments under a Group Annuity Contract with the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Can I take a QCD (Qualified Charitable Deduction) on my Federal return for Metro.Life annuity payments I receive from my Federal Thrift Savings Plan distributions?

No.  QCDs can only be made from an IRA.  The annuity established from your participation in the federal TSP is not an IRA.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

dmertz
Level 15

No.  QCDs can only be made from an IRA.  The annuity established from your participation in the federal TSP is not an IRA.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

In addition to what dmertz said, even from an IRA a QCD has to be paid directly to the charity from the IRA. If the IRA paid the money to you it is not a QCD, and there is no way to make it a QCD, even if you donate it to a charity.

QCD stands for Qualified Charitable Distribution, not Deduction. The manner in which the distribution is paid out is what makes it a QCD. It's not a deduction that you can decide to claim on your tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies