Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sallydog

Can I re-characterize the excess contribution of my Roth IRA to non-deductible, traditional IRA? But is there a restriction, like income limit, for this conversion?

I already have a retirement plan through work, so cannot deduct the IRA amount, but can I still recharcterize the excess Roth IRA to nondeductible IRA?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Can I re-characterize the excess contribution of my Roth IRA to non-deductible, traditional IRA? But is there a restriction, like income limit, for this conversion?

As long as you have enough earned income, you can definitely recharacterize the Roth contribution to a Traditional IRA contribution, instead of withdrawing it altogether. However, if you also have a retirement plan at work, you may receive no deduction for this Traditional IRA contribution. Recharacterizing a contribution is not a conversion, and there's no income restriction for recharacterization. Any contribution can be recharacterized.

Keep in mind that you may benefit from then converting the Traditional IRA to a Roth. This is a good option if you have no existing Traditional IRA account. This will move the money into a Roth indirectly, which is where you may prefer to have it.

If you have a Traditional IRA account with a balance greater than $0 on 12/31/2017, your conversion to a Roth could be partially (or even mostly) taxable. The backdoor conversion is best for taxpayers who don't really have Traditional IRAs that are more than "shell" accounts.

**Also, even if you recharacterize to a Traditional IRA, any earnings since the contribution are taxable in 2016.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

As long as you have enough earned income, you can definitely recharacterize the Roth contribution to a Traditional IRA contribution, instead of withdrawing it altogether. However, if you also have a retirement plan at work, you may receive no deduction for this Traditional IRA contribution. Recharacterizing a contribution is not a conversion, and there's no income restriction for recharacterization. Any contribution can be recharacterized.

Keep in mind that you may benefit from then converting the Traditional IRA to a Roth. This is a good option if you have no existing Traditional IRA account. This will move the money into a Roth indirectly, which is where you may prefer to have it.

If you have a Traditional IRA account with a balance greater than $0 on 12/31/2017, your conversion to a Roth could be partially (or even mostly) taxable. The backdoor conversion is best for taxpayers who don't really have Traditional IRAs that are more than "shell" accounts.

**Also, even if you recharacterize to a Traditional IRA, any earnings since the contribution are taxable in 2016.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies