turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eaoverton

Can I pick 'normal distribution' for Box 7 on 1099-R for qualified annuity payment even though Company issuing it did not include and says it is not needed?

TT will not proceed without making a choice for Box 7.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
eaoverton

Can I pick 'normal distribution' for Box 7 on 1099-R for qualified annuity payment even though Company issuing it did not include and says it is not needed?

Ahhh...that's it! It doesn't look like it but it is a '7'. Thank you so much!!!!!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You have no code in Box 7? You absolutely need one. You can't automatically choose a code, it needs to be issued on the actual form. The code governs how it is treated for tax purposes.

@eaoverton

dmertz
Level 15

If the form is not printed on the standard IRS form. it's often the case that the code in box 7 is 7 and is present, but the code 7 is being mistaken for the box number.

eaoverton

Thank you so much for responding. No, there is no code in Box 7 issued by the company. I spoke with them yesterday and they said there was no need to issue a corrected 1099-R. It sounds as though I should go back and request them to reissue the 1099?

eaoverton

Ahhh...that's it! It doesn't look like it but it is a '7'. Thank you so much!!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies