Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I include my wife's Medicare D Premium's On Our Taxes?

My wife and I are 66, and I'm retired, she's a homemaker. I'm receiving reduced SS benefit (cause I'm a CSRS Fed employee "double dipper") with Medicare A/B but she hasn't yet chosen to start rcving her SS benefits. She DID, however, start her Medicare parts A&B when she turned 65. Her monthly pymt comes out of our bank acct. We've rcvd nothing from Medicare or SS showing that we've made those pymts for her for all of 2022. Should we have rcvd something, and can her Medicare part B premiums be deducted from our 2022 Fed. taxes? If so, how/who do I contact to get her documentation (whatever it may be)? Thx so much, God bless you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

It depends. There are two requirements that you must meet to deduct your wife’s Medicare Part B and D premiums on your federal tax return. You must itemize deductions and your medical expenses must exceed 7.5%  of your adjusted gross income (AGI).  You can deduct the part of your medical expenses that exceed the threshold. Since you did not receive a form for your wife’s Medicare payments, you can call Medicare to request a copy, but you don’t need it to take the deduction if you are eligible. For detailed instructions, please refer to Where do I enter my medical expenses?

For additional information, please refer to the TurboTax article Are Medical Expenses Tax Deductible?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

It depends. There are two requirements that you must meet to deduct your wife’s Medicare Part B and D premiums on your federal tax return. You must itemize deductions and your medical expenses must exceed 7.5%  of your adjusted gross income (AGI).  You can deduct the part of your medical expenses that exceed the threshold. Since you did not receive a form for your wife’s Medicare payments, you can call Medicare to request a copy, but you don’t need it to take the deduction if you are eligible. For detailed instructions, please refer to Where do I enter my medical expenses?

For additional information, please refer to the TurboTax article Are Medical Expenses Tax Deductible?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Your bank account records or statements are the documentation of the payments that you made.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies