Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I elect "permanent disability" for IRA distributions if I lost my job due to disability but SSDI has not been approved yet?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Can I elect "permanent disability" for IRA distributions if I lost my job due to disability but SSDI has not been approved yet?

Yes, the IRS has some definitions for permanent disability but essentially they are the same and you can avoid the 10% penalty for this reason.

As long as you have a doctor who can verify your disability, it's not necessary to be approved by the Social Security Administration (SSA) first.

Permanent and Total Disability:

If a retirement account owner becomes disabled, the IRS will waive the 10 percent early withdrawal penalty so long as they can show that they are unable to perform any substantial gainful activity and that the condition causing the disability is expected to result in death or last for a long time.

A person is permanently and totally disabled if both of the following apply. 

1. They can't engage in any substantial gainful activity because of a physical or mental condition
  2. A physician determines that the disability has lasted or can be expected to last continuously for at least a year or can lead to death.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies