Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wc8585

Can I deduct payments to a foreign retirement plan from my self employed income? I made payments into a UK retirement plan last year, despite living in the USA.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I deduct payments to a foreign retirement plan from my self employed income? I made payments into a UK retirement plan last year, despite living in the USA.

there are some U.S. income tax treaties which allow foreign pension plans to be treated as qualified for U.S. tax purposes. One such example is the United States-United Kingdom income tax treaty. Unlike many tax treaties the United States has with foreign countries, the U.S.-UK treaty addresses pensions comprehensively, with rules related to contributions, earnings, and distributions. For example, while living in London, an American can deduct, for U.S. tax purposes, contributions to their UK pension plan. This deduction is only available while the U.S. taxpayer resides in the United Kingdom. Additionally, it applies only to the extent the contributions or benefits qualify for tax relief under HMRC (UK tax authority) rules and the HRMC relief may not exceed the relief that is allowed in the United States under IRS regulations.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

there are some U.S. income tax treaties which allow foreign pension plans to be treated as qualified for U.S. tax purposes. One such example is the United States-United Kingdom income tax treaty. Unlike many tax treaties the United States has with foreign countries, the U.S.-UK treaty addresses pensions comprehensively, with rules related to contributions, earnings, and distributions. For example, while living in London, an American can deduct, for U.S. tax purposes, contributions to their UK pension plan. This deduction is only available while the U.S. taxpayer resides in the United Kingdom. Additionally, it applies only to the extent the contributions or benefits qualify for tax relief under HMRC (UK tax authority) rules and the HRMC relief may not exceed the relief that is allowed in the United States under IRS regulations.

wc8585

Helpful thanks, sadly I was a resident in the USA for 2018 so doesn't look like they'll qualify.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies