turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I contribute all money I earned ($2,500) from 1099-Misc as self employment to Roth IRA? My AGI is $85,000. Thanks.

Can I contribute all money I earned ($2,500) from 1099-Misc as self employment to Roth IRA?  My AGI is $85,000.  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I contribute all money I earned ($2,500) from 1099-Misc as self employment to Roth IRA? My AGI is $85,000. Thanks.

Yes. Roth IRA's are funded with "after-tax" dollars and you can generally contribute as long as you have enough earned income and don't go over the contribution limits of $5,500/$6,500 over 50, or the income limits.  Your Roth IRA phases out at $120,000–$135,000 Single, $189,000–$199,000 Married filing jointly, $0–$10,000 Married, filing separately.

You can contribute to a traditional or Roth IRA whether or not you participate in another retirement plan through your employer or business. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Yes. Roth IRA's are funded with "after-tax" dollars and you can generally contribute as long as you have enough earned income and don't go over the contribution limits of $5,500/$6,500 over 50, or the income limits.  Your Roth IRA phases out at $120,000–$135,000 Single, $189,000–$199,000 Married filing jointly, $0–$10,000 Married, filing separately.

You can contribute to a traditional or Roth IRA whether or not you participate in another retirement plan through your employer or business. 

dmertz
Level 15

Although you can make a Roth IRA contribution based on your self-employment income, if you have no other earned income the amount that you are permitted to contributed to the Roth IRA is slightly less than your $2,500 of net profit.  The maximum amount that you can contribute to the Roth IRA is $2,500 minus the deductible portion of self-employment taxes.  This means that a maximum of $2,323 can be contributed.

Very good insight.  Thank you very much.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies