turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can anyone tell me how to enter post tax IRA contribution also called non-deductible contribution. Need this to generate form 8606

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Can anyone tell me how to enter post tax IRA contribution also called non-deductible contribution. Need this to generate form 8606

You can trigger Form 8606 with these instructions:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account.
  2. Open your return, if it isn't already open.
  3. Inside TurboTax, search for this exact phrase: IRA Contribution Information.
  4. Select the Jump to link in the search results.  Or Click on Federal tab > Deductions & Credits > Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions > Edit/Add box.
  5. Proceed through the IRA section, answering questions as you go.
  6. Answer Yes when you reach the screen, Any Nondeductible Contributions to Your IRA?
  7. Select Continue.
  8. We'll generate and fill out the 8606 behind the scenes.

Tip: On joint returns, 8606-T stands for "taxpayer" (first person listed on the return) and 8606-S denotes "spouse."

Please see TurboTax FAQ:  Where do I find Form 8606?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for. your response. What if I want to file 8606 for my prior years but I didn't file tax using Turbo tax. It is for year 2021 and 2022. 

Vidhya

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

If you made nondeductible traditional IRA contributions but didn't include Form 8606 on your 2021 and 2022 tax returns then you can file the 2021 Form 8606 and the 2022 Form 8606 by itself and mail them to your designated IRS office. Be sure to include your address on page 1 of the form and your signature and the date on page 2 of the form. Please see Instructions for Form 8606, Nondeductible IRAs for details.

Please check line 20 of Schedule 1 on your 2021 and 2022 tax returns that you did not take an IRA deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies