turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can a company stock, held in an IRA, that reports income on a 1099 generate UBTI (Unrelated Business Taxable Income)? Or am I safe holding them?

PAGP and NEP are two examples of limited partnerships that report income on a 1099.  I am getting conflicting information about whether or not I could get taxed on UBTI in my Roth IRA.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Can a company stock, held in an IRA, that reports income on a 1099 generate UBTI (Unrelated Business Taxable Income)? Or am I safe holding them?

Since these entities do not issue a Schedules K-1, it appears that these are not a pass-through entities.  It's my guess that these entities are themselves responsible for paying the UBIT on any UBTI generated by the shares of the partnership(s) that they own and the UBIT that they have to pay (an expense) is reflected in the share value of these entities.

View solution in original post

dmertz
Level 15

I don't see how you would be responsible for any UBTI if you receive no Schedule K-1.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

It is applicable to Roth IRAs ($1,000 or more), but the custodian will file the 900-T.

@dmertz ?

Thanks for looking at this, but I am not convinced that the custodian is handling the situation correctly.  I am not even sure that there is enough detail on the 1099 to even calculate UBTI.  Can it be done if the company does not issue a K-1?

dmertz
Level 15

Since these entities do not issue a Schedules K-1, it appears that these are not a pass-through entities.  It's my guess that these entities are themselves responsible for paying the UBIT on any UBTI generated by the shares of the partnership(s) that they own and the UBIT that they have to pay (an expense) is reflected in the share value of these entities.

@dmertz , If I am understanding correctly, you are saying that a business that reports via 1099 would pay the taxes for any tax liabilities from partnerships they own.  I am not sure I have that right.

NEE is NextEra Energy, and NEP (NextEra Energy Partners) is an LP subsidiary that reports with a 1099.  In your answer, would you be talking about NEE's responsibility for NEP shares they owned, or are you saying that NEE would cover the tax liability for all of NEP's unrelated business taxes?

I am trying to figure out if NEP's 1099 reporting of their LP shields me from UBTI taxes.

dmertz
Level 15

I don't see how you would be responsible for any UBTI if you receive no Schedule K-1.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies