Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California taxation of community property pension 50% allocated to non-resident spouse in Nevada.

W is a resident and domiciled in CA, H is a resident and domiciled in NV, and W retired in CA and has a State defined benefit pension payable monthly.  All of the pension is community property.  Is the pension payment (1) "California sourced", like wages, in which case all of the pension is taxed in CA (50% to W and 50% to H as CA sourced income on 540-NR), or (2) is the 50% allocated to H in NV subject to 4 U.S. Code § 114 and not subject to CA tax?  No authority addresses the issue.  Conversely, if H takes a community property pension distribution in NV, does CA allocate 50% of the community property pension to the CA resident W spouse (as community property income) who pays tax on it?  There is no authority for this either.  I suspect CA wants it both ways; (i) tax NV spouse on CA spouse pension as "CA sourced" (i.e., 100% taxed), and (ii) tax CA spouse on 50% of NV spouse pension distribution as community property income (here, 50% taxed in CA).  Thoughts?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

California taxation of community property pension 50% allocated to non-resident spouse in Nevada.

I should have been clearer, but I cited Example 3 because of the footnote that states *California nonresidents are not taxed by California on pension income.  That statement is from a California Tax Board publication, so it is authoritative.

Pensions are community property if they were earned in a community property state during the period of the marriage.  If pension is community property, then 50% of the pension income belongs to each spouse.  In your example, H is a non-resident of CA.  Therefore his share of the pension income is not taxable by CA.  W is a resident of CA, therefore her share of the pension income is taxable by CA.

Another source:

"California does not tax the IRA distributions, qualified pension, profit sharing, and stock bonus plans of a nonresident." 

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/misc/1100.html

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

The 50% allotted to H is not taxable by CA, because CA non-residents are not taxed by CA on pension income.

See Example 3 on page 12 of this CA tax publication:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2023/2023-1031-publication.pdf

All the pension income allotted to W is taxable by CA, since CA residents are subject to CA income tax on all their income.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thank you for the response, and it makes sense--pension benefits 50% allocated under community property laws to a nonresident should not be taxed in CA under 4 USC Section 114.  Example 3, however, involves two nonresidents in a community property state, so after the 50-50 allocation, both would be sourced to a non-CA jurisdiction and CA could not tax either because of 4 USC Section 114.  In my example, W is a CA resident and the recipient of the pension payment (though subject to community property 50-50 allocation - 1/2 to NV).  If the payment to W was wages for working in CA, there would be no question, it would be 100% taxed in CA: 50% to W (taxed as a resident) and 50% to H (taxed as a non-resident because the income is sourced to CA - like rental income from CA).  I cannot find any examples or authority supporting how CA would tax H on his 50% community property share of W's pension payment --i.e., does CA take the position that H's 50% pension share is (i) CA sourced like wages and is taxable in CA and hence not subject to 4 USC Section 114, or (ii) is not CA sourced (like stock sales or income from personal property) and hence is subject to 4 USC Section 114 and not taxable in CA.  California Office of Tax Appeals nonprecedential opinion 2019-OTA-171 foot notes 2 and 3 suggest that 50% of non-resident W's pension payment should be allocated and taxed to resident H's CA taxable income under community property laws--and this too makes sense.  Unfortunately, I cannot find authority for the opposite--pension received by CA resident with 50% allocated under community property laws to non-resident spouse.  

TomD8
Level 15

I should have been clearer, but I cited Example 3 because of the footnote that states *California nonresidents are not taxed by California on pension income.  That statement is from a California Tax Board publication, so it is authoritative.

Pensions are community property if they were earned in a community property state during the period of the marriage.  If pension is community property, then 50% of the pension income belongs to each spouse.  In your example, H is a non-resident of CA.  Therefore his share of the pension income is not taxable by CA.  W is a resident of CA, therefore her share of the pension income is taxable by CA.

Another source:

"California does not tax the IRA distributions, qualified pension, profit sharing, and stock bonus plans of a nonresident." 

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/misc/1100.html

TomD8: thoughtful response.  Thank you.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies