Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099R data entry: I entered 96000 in box 1, and the federal tax return window ratchets up to 16000 due. If I put the taxable amount in box 2a of 90000, nothing happens

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1099R data entry: I entered 96000 in box 1, and the federal tax return window ratchets up to 16000 due. If I put the taxable amount in box 2a of 90000, nothing happens

Solved in comments.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies

What code is in box 7?
Is the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box checked?
What is actually in box 2a on your 1099-R?
Is box 2b (undetermined) checked?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

box 7 is 7, no ira box checked, 90000 in 2a nothing in 2b. Thanks but this seems to be a TT problem. Try it your self and see if you can get a calculation that makes sense

Assuming that you took the money in cash and did not roll it over, then the $96,000 should be on the 1040 line 4a and the $90,000 (taxable amount) on line 4b.

The amount of tax due comes from the 1040 line 22 and depends on the total tax on line 11 minus credits.

Check your entries.   Also delete the 1099-R and re-enter.

Be sure that you are doing this in the 1099-R interview, not direct form entry of you are in the forms mode.   Forms mode data entry is not supported, and voids the accuracy guarantee.   The interview follow-up questions can affect the taxable amount.

That did it.
I had to delete the archived 1099R and reenter all the info.
Thanks, Happy Taxing

Solved in comments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies