Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Box 12b code W

On my W2 in box 12b I have a W with an amount that coincides with the same amount as on my last paycheck for supplemental insurance pre tax. I DO NOT to my knowledge have an HSA account. The only insurances that I have are my health, dental and vision which my employer pays for which is NOT a HDHP. And accident, critical illness, hospital, short term disability and life insurance through Colonial life. The amount deducted for my colonial life is what they are coding as a W in box 12b which I can't withdrawal funds from so I am being taxed on this as "over payment". Please help me understand this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Box 12b code W

What you need to understand is that your employer owes you a corrected W-2. 

It often happens that employers misread the paragraph below to mean that any Section 125 program should be coded with a W in box 12 on your W-2. That is simply not true.

Please talk to your employer and show them this extract from the W-2 Instructions (page 20):

Code W—Employer contributions to a health savings account (HSA). Show any employer contributions (including amounts the employee elected to contribute using a section 125 (cafeteria) plan) to an HSA. See Health savings account (HSA).

So long as that code W is on your W-2, TurboTax cannot make a correct copy of your return.

Come back if your employer refuses to issue a corrected W-2 to you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Box 12b code W

I myself have already told them this cannot be correct as I've had the same insurance through colonial for years and it has never been coded as such(my employer changed to quick books this year who now does their w2s). I am going to talk to them again and show them what you've said. Just to be clear, my colonial insurance is in no way a HSA. Also, what should it be coded as if anything? The only other code I recall being there is DD, but that was when my employer paid half of my health insurance. 

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Box 12b code W

If you don't have an HSA, there should be no code W on your W-2 Box 12. Please see What do the letter codes in box 12 on my W-2 mean?

W-2 Box 12 amounts with the code DD signify the total cost of what you and your employer paid for your employer-sponsored health coverage plan.

• Code DD amounts are for informational purposes only—they don't affect the numbers in your tax return.
  • Nevertheless, you should enter the Code DD and the amount of your employer-sponsored health coverage plan if you see it on your W-2.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies