Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harga001

Bought a cabin in WI, how is that addressed at the Federal and State level. Have Form 5498, what is that for?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
jerry2000
Alumni

Bought a cabin in WI, how is that addressed at the Federal and State level. Have Form 5498, what is that for?

The purchase of a new personal residence (primary or secondary) is not a reportable event. You can deduct mortgage interest, points, and real estate property tax paid at closing. You report those expenses along with other mortgage interest/property taxes paid in the year at Federal Taxes (or Personal if using Home and Business) Deductions And Credits choose I'll choose what I work on, if asked OR Jump to Full List My Home All other costs paid at closing, including transfer taxes, "stamps", escrow fees, etc., are NOT deductible from current income, instead you add them to the cost basis of your home and you will get the benefit when you sell. You enter that only on your Federal return. Anything related to your state return is transferred by Turbotax automatically.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jerry2000
Alumni

well, what is the cabin for? is it a second home? is it a rental? or what.  You get a 5498 for a transaction on a retirement account, why did you get a 5498 for buying a cabin? That makes no sense at all.
harga001

Two separate questions. The 5498 question is answered.  The cabin is a second home for intermittent use. Not a rental.  Thanks.
jerry2000
Alumni

The purchase of a new personal residence (primary or secondary) is not a reportable event. You can deduct mortgage interest, points, and real estate property tax paid at closing. You report those expenses along with other mortgage interest/property taxes paid in the year at Federal Taxes (or Personal if using Home and Business) Deductions And Credits choose I'll choose what I work on, if asked OR Jump to Full List My Home All other costs paid at closing, including transfer taxes, "stamps", escrow fees, etc., are NOT deductible from current income, instead you add them to the cost basis of your home and you will get the benefit when you sell. You enter that only on your Federal return. Anything related to your state return is transferred by Turbotax automatically.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.49m
Members

2.63m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v