Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Because of a lawsuit, we were required to file for bankruptcy (chapter 7). We made a hardship loan from my wife's 401K plan. Doesn't this qualify for a hardship loan?

I have read that you may not have to pay taxes on money borrowed from a 401K plan if it was due to a hardship.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Because of a lawsuit, we were required to file for bankruptcy (chapter 7). We made a hardship loan from my wife's 401K plan. Doesn't this qualify for a hardship loan?

A loan is never taxable as long as you pay it back.

401(k) loans are required by law to be repaid by payroll deduction.  These deductions are not new contributions (although you might make new contributions at the same time).

If you separate from the company, you have 60 days to repay the entire loan balance.  Any part not repaid is taxable income to you, and may also be subject to an early withdrawal penalty.  If you can't repay the loan within 60 days, you also have the option of making a deposit to a private IRA or or the retirement plan at a new job and calling it a rollover of the loan funds rather than a new contribution.  Then on your tax return you can report that you rolled over the funds instead of paying tax on a distribution.

But if you don't repay or rollover the loan, the money you keep is a taxable distribution, there are no exceptions for hardships. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You always pay tax on 401(k) withdrawals, because the contributions were never taxed.  Sometimes, you can be exempt from the 10% penalty for early withdrawal.  The list of available exemptions is here.  There are no general exceptions for "hardships", but maybe some of your expenses fall into an allowable category.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-tax-on-early-distri...

TomD8
Level 15

A 401K loan and a hardship withdrawal are two different things.

If you take a loan from your 401K, then the money is tax-exempt as long as you repay the loan on time.

If you take a hardship withdrawal from your 401K, the funds do not have to be paid back.  But you must pay income taxes on the amount of the withdrawal.  If you are under age 59 1/2, you may also have to pay an additional 10% penalty.  The penalty may be waived under certain circumstances.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

A loan is never taxable as long as you pay it back.

401(k) loans are required by law to be repaid by payroll deduction.  These deductions are not new contributions (although you might make new contributions at the same time).

If you separate from the company, you have 60 days to repay the entire loan balance.  Any part not repaid is taxable income to you, and may also be subject to an early withdrawal penalty.  If you can't repay the loan within 60 days, you also have the option of making a deposit to a private IRA or or the retirement plan at a new job and calling it a rollover of the loan funds rather than a new contribution.  Then on your tax return you can report that you rolled over the funds instead of paying tax on a distribution.

But if you don't repay or rollover the loan, the money you keep is a taxable distribution, there are no exceptions for hardships. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies