Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Became Clergy Mid-Year, worked as staff earlier in year. Have SSI partially withheld.

My wife is clergy, but started the year as a program coordinator for the church. She became ordained in the middle of the year and has a single W-2 with some SSI withheld which Turbotax does not like.

I have read some options whereby I either use an override of a certain form and then have to snail mail my return today, but then NYS has a mandatory e-file requirement that requires the Fed to be e-filed/accepted first so it bounces back to me when I try to mail my fed and e-file my state, so I'd much rather find a workaround whereby I don't have to do an override and instead e-file my return. We do not this year take a home allownace.

I saw a workaround whereby I would split my wife's w-2 into two w-2s.

1 - 19746.17

2 - 2310.00

3 - 4400.00

4 - 272.80

5 - 4400.00

6 63.80

12 807.66

14 - NY-SDI 6.00 and NY-FLI 20.02

I split this into two w-2s as I'd seen in other posts.
One as clergy
1 - 15,346.00 - all other boxes blank
One as staff

1 4,400

2 2,310
3 4,400
4 272.80

5 - 4400.00

6 63.80

12 807.66

14 - NY-SDI 6.00 and NY-FLI 20.02

So 1) I is this correct and 2) I feel a bit iffy about creating a second w-2 when only one was issued to my wife, but I've seen the "split into two w-2s" option quite a few different times. Wondering if this has been successful and I should just do it and e-file so I can avoid mailing files in.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Became Clergy Mid-Year, worked as staff earlier in year. Have SSI partially withheld.

Yes, you can certainly split them to show the correct amount as clergy versus program coordinator.  There is no need for concern to report the income appropriately and pay the self employment tax on the clergy earnings.

You may find you are unable to e-file with the same employer identification number (EIN) on two different W-2s.  In the end splitting the income into two separate W-2s is the correct action for accurate results and you may need to print and mail.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for being another voice confirming splitting into two w-2s. I was able to e-file. We'll see what happens next.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies