Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlzmann
Returning Member

Backdoor Roth IRA Contribution

I have followed the instructions for entering a backdoor Roth IRA conversion, however, the directions do not exactly follow the screens for the Desktop TurboTax version.    For example, the screen that asks "Did you change your mind?" did not come up after the Contribution screen and I do not get the screen to "Choose not to Deduct IRA Contributions" at all even though I have been through every scenario.  What am I doing wrong?  Also, being retired I do not have earned income as defined, only pensions and social security income so it keeps telling me I have excess Roth Contributions and the contribution is not allowed in every scenario I run.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Backdoor Roth IRA Contribution

Since you are seeing messages on the screen about Roth IRA contributions being over the limit allowed, you need to review the step-by-step instructions again to be certain that you enter a Traditional IRA contribution and not a Roth IRA contribution.  

The money is first placed in a Traditional IRA and it is deemed non-deductible on your tax return through Form 8606.  This Traditional IRA is then converted to a Roth IRA.  This transaction is reported on your Form 1099-R showing the distribution from the Traditional IRA.  

Putting money into a Roth IRA in this manner is not considered to be a contribution to that Roth IRA.  

For reference, see the following TurboTax help article:

How do I enter a backdoor Roth IRA conversion?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies