turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

Backdoor Roth. Excess contribution/conversion as money grew before conversion.



My money grew in Traditional IRA account by $3.50 before I converted them to Roth. I converted all to Roth as advised on others and trying to report it on my tax form. 

I input my 1099-R as directed online but my 8606 form does not indicate the $3.50 taxable amount. 


Please help. I am using the online version. 



Connect with an expert
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Expert Alumni

Backdoor Roth. Excess contribution/conversion as money grew before conversion.

To clarify, do you show the $3.50 (most likely rounded to $4) on line 4b?


Did you have any basis from prior years entered? Was the value of all of your traditional/SEP/SIMPLE IRAs at the end of 2023 $0?


You can see the calculations on Form 8606 (or the Taxable IRA Distribution worksheet if you have a * next to line 13).


To preview Form 1040:

  1. Click on "Tax Tools" in the left menu
  2. Click "Tools"
  3. Click "View Tax Summary" in the Tool Center window
  4. Click on "Preview my 1040" on the left


To see Form 8606 (you might be asked to pay first):

  1. Select Tax Tools on the left and then Print Center 
  2. Select Print, save or preview this year's return
  3. Select returns and choose to print just the tax return or to include all worksheets as well. 



Please review these instructions  below.


To enter the nondeductible contribution to the traditional IRA:

  1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “IRA contributions” 
  3. Click on “Jump to IRA contributions"
  4. Select “traditional IRA
  5. Answer “No” to “Is This a Repayment of a Retirement Distribution?
  6. Enter the amount you contributed
  7. Answer “No” to the recharacterized question on the “Did You Change Your Mind?” screen
  8. Answer the next questions until you get to “Any Nondeductible Contributions to Your IRA?” and select “Yes” if you had a nondeductible contribution before this tax year.
  9. Enter your basis in the Traditional IRA from your 2022 Form 8606 line 14 (if you had a basis in the prior year)
  10. On the “Choose Not to Deduct IRA Contributions” screen choose “Yes, make part of my IRA contribution nondeductible” and enter the amount (if you have a retirement plan at work and are over the income limit it will be nondeductible automatically and you only get a warning and then a screen saying $0 is deductible).


To enter the Form 1099-R conversion: 


  1. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “1099-R”  
  2. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”
  3. Click "Continue" and enter the information from your 1099-R
  4. Answer questions until you get to “Tell us if you moved the money through a rollover or conversion” and choose “I converted some or all of it to a Roth IRA
  5. On the "Review your 1099-R info" screen click "Continue"
  6. Answer "Yes" to "Any nondeductible Contributions to your IRA?" if you had any nondeductible contributions in prior years.
  7. Answer the questions about the basis from line 14 of your 2022 Form 8606 and the value of all traditional, SEP, and SIMPLE IRAs
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies