Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

backdoor roth entry trouble

I am trying to enter a backdoor roth conversion. I have followed the instructions from another article:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-enter-a-backdoor-roth-ira-convers...

My situation - doing a contribution to a traditional IRA now and immediately converting it to a Roth IRA, $7k.

My question - is the 7k taxable?

After doing the data entry as noted in the above article, the converted amount shows up as taxable. I thought it was supposed to not be taxable.  Is there something I am doing wrong or missing? Any entries I should double check????

thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

backdoor roth entry trouble

If you decide not to take a deduction on the $7,000 contribution, it should not be taxable. 

Please clarify: Have you made your Traditional IRA contribution for 2021 and converted the contribution to Roth IRA and received Form 1099-R?

If not, enter your Traditional IRA contribution, and when you receive your 1099-R in 2023, enter it as a conversion. 

If you have an existing Traditional IRA account already and it has a deductible contribution, part of the conversion will be taxable unless you have only non-deductible contributions.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies