turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dala9304

Backdoor Roth contributions for 2022 in 2023 and double taxation

Hi experts! I'm running into an issue with the backdoor roth strategy that we started in 2023. Trying to summarize the steps and where I am stuck:

1. My wife and I each did the backdoor roth contributions for 2022 ($6000) and 2023 ($6500) IN 2023 (due to disasters in CA, we were able to do 2022 contributions until October 2023 with the extended tax deadline).

2. Fidelity issued us each a form 1099-r that states $12,500 as gross distribution (field 1) and taxable amount (field 2a).

3. TurboTax is now stating the $12,500 each as income (25k total) and taxing us for it. I can add the $6500 contributions each for this year, which will reduce the tax burden, but the $6000 each from 2022 remains taxed.

4. In 2022, our total income was below the threshold for non-deductible contributions for my wife since she does not have a work retirement account (see https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/2022-ira-contribution-and-deduction-l...), which means, amending 2022 taxes would give us a small return (~1300 federal, 600 state) and now issue me a Form 8606 (not my wife, since hers was deductible)

5. With this Form 8606 of my amended 2022 taxes, I can now declare a nondeductible contribution of $6000 for myself. This reduces the taxable amount by $6000 ($6000 from my wife remaining)

6. My wife's IRA base is still $0 (given that she never had nondeductible contributions).

7. In 2023, we are above the threshold, so my wife's contribution for this year is non-deductible.

We are still taxed the $6000 contribution to my wife's IRA account (backdoor roth) we made in 2023 for 2022.

Can someone tell me if I'm not considering something? Is this correct? As far as I understand, we now used "pre-tax" money in 2022 (given that it was deductible), but we're getting taxed in 2023 for it again?

I have a feeling the switch from ira contribution deduction limits between 2022 and 2023 is the culprit here and turbotax cannot handle it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Backdoor Roth contributions for 2022 in 2023 and double taxation

Yes, if your wife made a deductible traditional IRA contribution for 2022 then part of her conversion will be taxable. When you have both pre-tax and after-tax contribution then the  pro-rata rule applies. This means that with each distribution/ conversion you will have a taxable and nontaxable part. 

For the Backdoor Roth to work as indented you must only make nondeductible traditional IRA contributions and do not have any pre-tax funds in the traditional/SEP/SIMPLE IRAs. 

You are not getting taxed again. Pre-tax means the money hasn't been taxed. The $6,000 were deductible in 2022 (pre-tax) therefore when you convert it to an after-tax account you will have to pay taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies