Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Back Door Roth: Rolling Between 401K and IRA

My income exceeds the contribution threshold for IRA. I am trying to do back door Roth. A few years ago, I rolled traditional IRA into my prev employer's 401k plan. However, the problem with this approach is I'm limited to trade funds and stock offered by that plan only.

It's my understanding that as long as all my traditional IRAs are rolled into 401k before 12/31, there will be no aggregation if I did Roth conversion. If that's true, can I take the following steps:

• Begin of the year, roll almost all positions from 401k to traditional IRA account A
  • During the year, trade from IRA account A with wide choice of stock, future ...
  • At some point, contribute to a dedicated traditional IRA B account and immediately convert to Roth IRA
  • End of the year, close all IRA account A positions to cash and roll it back into the 401k account. 
  • Repeat the next year

Can someone please confirm if this will cause any trouble at tax time?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

"My income exceeds the contribution threshold for IRA."

Your income limits the contributions to a Roth IRA, not a Traditional IRA.

That's the whole point of the Backdoor contribution trick.

you must have earnings.

For true tax-free operation, it is important to have a Traditional IRA that is empty to start.

@ansettax 

Sorry, you're right. I was being sloppy in my question. However, the main question I have is if my plan of round trip rolling between 401k and IRA would serve its purposes. Can someone please help confirm I did not miss anything.

Will your employer allow you to remove funds from 401k while you are still employed.

Except for hardship, probably not.

Will your employer accept a transfer into your 401k of a Rollover IRA,

Maybe, maybe not,

@ansettax 

Hi,

This is my ex-employer's 401k account. I have already tried rolling into it and was successful. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies