Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chay
Level 1

As an international student, should I return the EIP benefit ($1200 tax refund due to Covid-19 crisis) to IRS? or can I use the benefit?

Dear,

I hope you are doing well in these challenging times.
I am an international student in USA, a recent graduate student completing a master's degree in Fall 2019. After finishing my master's degree, I went back to my home.

Before moving back to my home, I went to the Human Resource office at  my university frequently to complete my tax submission (I had worked as a TA for Fall 2019). In the process of preparing my tax application, the Human Resource office told me that I needed to submit my tax application like an american because I had lived in USA for more than 10 years (according to the office, my status was different from other international students because I had lived in USA for more 10 years, had a social security number since 2012, had a history of paying taxes). Therefore, I followed the instruction. I changed my mailing address to my home address (international address). Consequently, I got all the necessary documents. As a result, I used Turbo Tax to submit my tax applications, and the website told me that I succeeded to submit all the necessary information. After completing the submission, I got back the tax refund.

I thought that the first tax refund was all the tax refund I would get. However, I have checked my USA bank account today, and it showed that I got an additional tax refund ($1200). I think it is a tax refund for Covid-19 (I think it is about CAREs ACT) but I want to know whether I can use the second tax refund ($1200) or should return it to IRS because I am no longer an employee at my university for Spring 2020. Please help me find a way to deal with this problem. If I should return it to the government, please help me find a way to return it to IRS without paying additional fees because I do not have dollars left in my USA bank except $1200 which I got due to Covid-19 outbreak (I never requested to get the EIP benefit. The only thing I did since Dec 2019 was submitting my tax applications for Fall 2019 by using Turbo Tax ). If I can use it, should I worry about paying back some of amount later this year?

Thank you so much for your help.

Sincerely,
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

As an international student, should I return the EIP benefit ($1200 tax refund due to Covid-19 crisis) to IRS? or can I use the benefit?

As you have lived in the U.S. for 10 years and have a SSN, you are considered as a resident alien for tax purposes for 2019. However, in order to qualify for the stimulus payment of $1,200, you have to qualify as a resident alien in 2020. If you have left the U.S. and will not be here in 2020, you do not qualify and have to return the sum of$1,200 to the IRS.

Please read this IRS FAQ for more information, especially questions 11 and 41.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies