Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amend tax return for form 8606

Hello,

I made a mistake while entering 1099-R on last year 2022 return.  I classified it as Rollover where as it was a backdoor roth conversion.  

Because of my income levels, it was a non-deductible contributions.  

On form 1040, line 4b is 0. But form 8606 has wrong basis for IRA (line 14) and Part II of form ( for conversion) was blank. 

When I figured it out, I tried amending my return.  Upon correcting my mistake, i can see myy form 8606 shows correct numbers. Line 4b still 0. 

Should I file 1040X and send new form 8606 ? Or should I do nothing as line 4b is 0 in both cases. Also, there is no change in tax liability.  

Reason I ask, I am getting conflicting answers.  Some people say since tax amount is not changing,  I should not amend the return. And since I am not making same mistake in 2023 form 8606, my mistake will go away going forward. 

Some said I should file 1040x and form 8606 just to keep everything clear. 

Please advise. 

Thanks! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You should file an amended return with a corrected Form 8606.  For information on amending go to:  How to Correct Federal Tax Returns

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DavidD66 

Thank you for your response. 

Would you be able to help with more questions about amended returns ? 

Q 1 - I don't think i can efile my 2021 amended return. Turbotax premier desktop edition says TurboTax e-filling closed on October 17th, 2022. 

Q 2 - TurboTax instructions says I should only send forms which have changed. So in my case, that means form 1040X and form 8606.  No other document needed. 

However IRS website says for Amended return, I should send all the same forms and schedules. 

Link: https://www.irs.gov/filing/file-an-amended-return#:~:text=To%20amend%20a%20return%2C%20file,t%20have....

To amend a return, file Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. You can use tax software to electronically file your 1040-X online.

Submit all the same forms and schedules as you did when you filed your original Form 1040 even if you don't have adjustments on them.

File Form 8879, IRS e-file Signature Authorization with your 1040-X.

You can file up to 3 amended returns for the same year.

File on paper if you're amending a return you originally filed on paper and Forms 1040 and Form 1040-SR, U.S. Return for SeniorsPDF before 2020, and Form 1040-NR, Nonresident Alien Income Tax ReturnPDF before 2021.

I am not sure which instructions ( IRS or TT ) to follow. 

Thanks!

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

MAil your amended return.  Do not send all forms and schedules.  All you need to send is the updated/amended Form 8606 and Form 1040-X.  Based on your original question there won't be any changes to Form 1040 or any other forms or schedules.  So, all you need is the new 8606 and the 1040-X which has an explanation for why you are amending (to correct Form 8606).  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much! 

Thanks for all the help. I have one last question for you. 

Turbotax says I should amend my state (VA) tax return too.

Do I need to amend VA forms too?

If it is needed, my guess I should print 1040x, 8606 and VA 760 Amended form. 

Thanks! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies