turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jbuch413

Amend for new 1099-R. top of screen and prints that I owe $4K, but in the main body of the screen, I don't owe any tax because there is a '2' in box 7 on the 1099-R.

amending a 2016 return in Turbo Tax to enter a new 1099-R.  TT says I owe $4K, but in the main body of the screen, TT says I don't owe any tax because there is a '2' in box 7 on the 1099-R.  When I print the return, the 1040X says I owe $4K.  Do I owe $0 or $4K?   And if I owe $0, do I skip the amended return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Amend for new 1099-R. top of screen and prints that I owe $4K, but in the main body of the screen, I don't owe any tax because there is a '2' in box 7 on the 1099-R.

All that the "2" in Box 7 means is that you do not have to pay a penalty for early withdrawal, and that is all that it means, it does not mean that the distribution is not taxable. The distribution is fully taxable as ordinary income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

All that the "2" in Box 7 means is that you do not have to pay a penalty for early withdrawal, and that is all that it means, it does not mean that the distribution is not taxable. The distribution is fully taxable as ordinary income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies