Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rls827

457b early distribution

Approved to withdraw from 457 (b) for medical expenses. When applying  for the withdrawal included an estimated invoice from physician for procedure. Procedure ended up costing less than was invoiced. Do I have to return the unused money to the retirement plan or since I've already been taxed can I use it for other things? I am deducting the medical expenses that were paid
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

457b early distribution

You cannot return the money to your 457(b) or any other retirement plan.  Hardship distributions are not eligible for rollover.  You must spend it or save it in a non-retirement account however you choose.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

457b early distribution

You cannot return the money to your 457(b) or any other retirement plan.  Hardship distributions are not eligible for rollover.  You must spend it or save it in a non-retirement account however you choose.

rls827

457b early distribution

Thank you. I didn't want to get in any trouble for not using all of the funds as they were approved for. Wasn't sure if I needed to report that the procedure was a few thousand less than the estimate. Last thing I want is the IRS coming after me! Appreciate your response.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies